Monday, May 17, 2010

Jesse's Girl

That same girl walked past me again and I ran into that tell-tale wall - her eyes were just gorgeous. Bright blue and shining, they were just amazing. I had no idea who she was or where she came from, I just knew I loved her. My phone vibrated - snapping me out of my day dream.
Kyle, guess what? - Jesse
I smiled as I replied 'What?' to Jesse's text. He was one of my best friends, we met in first grade and - well, we've always been good friends. I waited for his reply as that girl went back and forth through my mind's eye - totally tuning out my math teacher.
I've got a GIRLFRIEND!! She's gonna eat lunch with us! - Jesse
I had to hold in an ecstatic cheer on his behalf, 'Dude, that's awesome! Are we gonna sit in the usual spot?
I was so excited for him, I mean - it's a huge step for one of us high school kids okay? It's his first girlfriend. I couldn't help wondering who she was, I mean, as far as I knew he didn't like anyone. . . maybe I already know her? I guess I just have to wait and see.
Yeah - Jesse
Sweet, see ya then, congrats man
I went through the rest of math day dreaming about that girl - and the double-dates she and I could go on with Jesse and his girl. The bell finally rang - I was the first one out of that room. I charged out fo the front doors of the school, to the tree Jesse and I always sat under. The tree came into view and I stopped dead in my tracks.
She was sitting right there.
That girl - with those eyes, the beauty that just radiated from her, the beauty I wanted to hold in my arms. And she was in my spot.
My prayers had been answered.
I took a deep breath and walked up to her confidently. I nodded and threw my backpack at the tree as usual. I sat next to her and opened my mouth and -
"You must be Kyle," she said smiling.
Wait. . . what?
She must have read my expression because she asked, "Jesse's friend? He's told me all about you."
"Really?" I choked out. "I hope it's been good things. . .I don't really know who you are though."
"Right," she said with a laugh. "Jesse's mom and mine have been friends for ages. He moved away when we were little kids. I moved here a week ago, and we just met again lat night - and well, hit it off, just like the old days. I'm Kourtney, Jesse's girlfriend."
Jesse called out from across the courtyard and I looked at him astonished. I couldn't really explain it, but suddenly something changed.
I liked Jesse's girl. I just wanted her to be mine.
Awkward. . .
Fantasy or not?

3 comments:

Paige Anne Stratford said...

I really liked the adaptation assignment so I did another - only I was actually UNDER the word limit! Shocker I know - hope you all enjoy :D

M said...

Yeah, awkward. Wow. I feel Kyle's pain. Nicely done.

Tessa Lee said...

I love your inspiration for this, so I had to love the story. This is something that almost everyone can relate to. I don't know whether to root for Jesse or Kyle. Good job!